Why Take the AARP Driver Safety Online Course?
The AARP Driver Safety Online Course is the nation's first and largest refresher course for drivers age 50 and older that has helped millions of drivers remain safe on today's roads. The course is designed to help you:
- Tune up your driving skills and update your knowledge of the rules of the road.
- Learn about normal age-related physical changes, and how to adjust your driving to allow for these changes.
- Reduce your traffic violations, crashes, and chances for injuries.
- Drive more safely.
- Get an insurance discount. Auto insurance companies in most states provide a multiyear discount to AARP graduates! (Some states may have restrictions on accepting online driver improvement course for insurance discounts; please consult your insurance agent for specifics in your state.)
What Will I Learn by Taking the Course?
You can expect to learn about current rules of the road, how to operate your vehicle more safely in today's increasingly challenging driving environment, and some adjustments to common age-related changes in vision, hearing, and reaction time. You will learn about:
- maintaining proper following distance at all times,
- the safest way to change lanes and make turns at intersections,
- the effects of medications on driving,
- minimizing the effect of dangerous blind spots,
- limiting driver distractions such as eating, smoking and cell phone use,
- properly using safety belts, air bags, and anti-lock brakes,
- maintaining physical flexibility,
- continuing to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities.